By Corinne Saunders
- Opens with a normal introductory part discussing London lifestyles and politics, books and authority, manuscripts and readers.
- Subsequent sections concentrate on Chaucer’s significant works – the dream visions, Troilus and Criseyde and The Canterbury Tales.
- Essays spotlight the most important non secular, political and highbrow contexts for every significant work.
- Also covers vital basic issues, together with: medieval literary genres; dream concept; the Church; gender and sexuality; and examining Chaucer aloud.
- Designed in order that every one contextual essay could be learn along considered one of Chaucer’s significant works.
Read or Download A Concise Companion to Chaucer (Concise Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Best literary medieval criticism books
This ebook develops an real and even as progressive musical research of old Greek poetry. It departs from the summary metrical analyses of the earlier in that it conceives the rhythmic and harmonic parts of poetry as vital to the entire expression, and decisive within the interpretation of its that means.
During this provocative problem to triumphing perspectives of recent testomony resources, Dennis MacDonald argues that the origins of passages within the e-book of Acts are to be discovered no longer in early Christian legends yet within the epics of Homer. MacDonald makes a speciality of 4 passages within the e-book of Acts, examines their strength parallels within the Iliad and concludes that the writer of Acts composed them utilizing well-known scenes in Homer's paintings as a version.
This is often the 1st in-depth research of Apuleius' Metamorphoses to examine the several attitudes characters undertake in the direction of magic as a key to decoding the advanced dynamics of the complete paintings. the diversity of responses to magic is unveiled within the narrative because the protagonist Lucius encounters an collection of characters, both in embedded stories or more often than not plot.
First released in 1998. Routledge is an imprint of Taylor & Francis, an informa company.
Extra info for A Concise Companion to Chaucer (Concise Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Concise Companion to Chaucer (Concise Companions to Literature and Culture) by Corinne Saunders